The Houston Village Farm: The Corner Deli

The corner deli on First Avenue and Fourth Street in New York City‘s East Village is, for some reason, called “Houston Village Farm”. In that the deli is 4 blocks from Houston St., one would think this name isn’t good for business. But, morning, noon and night this is a reliable destination for everything from OJ to beer to a bag of peeled carrots.

There is even a bit of a deli which can serve up good sandwiches that are reasonably priced in comparison to the rest of the neighborhood.

Prakash (sp?), the store’s owner, is always there to give a ‘hello’ and find whatever you need.

The East Village Podcasts blog happily awards Houston Village Farm 4.5 chicken cutlets out of 5.

January 31st, 2007

Entry Filed under: Food

6 Comments

• 1. stevie  |  February 3rd, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Yah Perkesh is cool. They own a few delis in the ‘nabe. A little pricey though. They sell coffee for the same price as Kudo Beans, a gourmet shop on the same block.

• 2. newval  |  February 3rd, 2007 at 5:57 pm

It is a bit more expensive. you’re right. But i always feel like everything is pretty good quality there so i’m ok with it.

• 3. Nancy  |  June 18th, 2007 at 10:48 am

I disagree with the first comment…their coffee is a dollar for a small and 1.25 for a large..even their lattes arent expensive..you’re probably not going to the right store.
    This place is not your average corner deli, it’s got everything you need and all at a reasonable price. Their beer selection is awesome..you’ll find beers from all parts of the world. The store is sparkly clean and the owner and his wife are the sweetest people. You can always expect a warm welcome at any time of the day. The deli has everything from grilled chicken to vegan sandwiches, and they have really good frozen yougurt. I go there atleast twice a day because their deals like 3 Odwallas for $5 and awesome fruit salads are hard to stay away from.

• 4. Celia  |  December 9th, 2007 at 12:39 am

They also sell those pricey juices and smoothies (Naked, I think) for 3 for $5 when they sell for almost $4 apiece elsewhere. I asked the owner how he could afford that – he told me that it (along with the Odwalla bars) are his “loss leaders” – he hopes that while his customers are in to get those bargains, that they’ll buy other things as well. Ever since he told me that, I make sure to buy something else from him when I come in for the juices!

• 5. mac  |  February 20th, 2008 at 8:03 pm

I ate sandwiches at many deli but never feel taste like houston village farm deli sandwiches. we can get everything like pannies ,vegan sandwiches, frozen yogurt ,wrape sandwiches .And in beer section …. Oh my god…… 480 different brands ….odwalla drink …chipest in the whole neighbourhood…3
    for 5.you know their delivery services is excellent…just within 10 minutes………….

• 6. suzanne  |  November 25th, 2009 at 9:36 pm

best thing about this shop is they stock a huge range of vegan goods, incl the cheapest silk soy milk in the area, plus they deliver for freeeeee!!! not even commodities delivers.

East Village Podcasts Blog's Facebook profile