Well, we now know what the measuring was the last time we visited the spinning cube of Astor Place.
Cooper Union has memorialized (Wait! This is apparently from the New York Historical Society. See comments.) its namesake and the 16th president of the United States, Abe Lincoln, who gave one of his most famous speeches here in 1860. EVP likes the history lesson on the East Village and looks forward to more enlightment sponsored by Cooper Union – especially when the new park is built which is to swallow 4th Avenue around 4th Street and expand the current, decrepit park surrounding Old Man Cooper’s statue. See all the details in The Villager’s recent article.
In the process, by adding the new historical signage, Jim “Mosaic Man” Power’s planter dedicated to the NYPD and FDNY and their sacrifice on September 11, 2001, has been moved to the northeast corner of the traffic island.
Along with Bernard Rosenthal’s Alamo (the spinning cube), tourists and locals alike have a lot of cool stuff to see within 800 square feet of concrete.
August 12th, 2008
Entry Filed under: East Village, New York City